Sunday 19 September 2010

Bunkers to Space Ports

For those of you worriying about the missus's's's's's' head, don't worry she is fine.

Indeed she is well enough that we all went on a family trip to Magna in Sheffield.

For those that don't know this is a 'science' museum that has been set up in an old steel works. I'll admit that I was less than impressed by the 'science', but the setting has left me rather filled with ideas for scenary. Indeed the crumbling industrial heritage of Sheffield has given my ideas - as have the modern prefabricated industrial buildings.

Added to which I also found on the roadside a number of rather useful items, such as a 5 inch rusty bolt and a steel gasket.

I was also inspired when passing a container freight depot. I mean it can't be that difficult to make a container from corrigated plasticard; stack a couple on top of each other you have a great piece of LoS blocking terrain.

Indeed my flights of fantasy got so inspired that I started trying to figure out how I could make a steel works. Which let's face it would make an awesome board for 40K or Necromunda - or even modern skirmish games. It's not until you see the size of melting pots that you really appreciate the scale of the place.

I guess I should start small with the container and a few bunkers - but part of me is longing to get some mdf and 6 inch foam to start cutting down to the smelting floor - and some more styrene girders to get cracking on the building.

peace:)

No comments:

Post a Comment