Monday 27 June 2011

Random is Good

The Bolsheviks are just about finished....

Cue blurry photo....



I'm happy with the way they are looking, though there is still some detail to add, so it's time to gloss varnish them, give them a spray of dull coat and then add the bells and whistles.

I'll admit that I haven't read the 6th ed rumours that have appeared on the net. I have seen them and glanced through them, and I have read the reaction.

From what I have seen I am rather pleased in the direction the game is moving and I really don't understand the way people are leaping up and down. I also don't understand the linked criticism that 40k is moving toward 8th ed.

For instance, I noticed someone complaining about the always wound on 6 rule and claiming that it was stoopid that a grot could wound a Deamon Prince. Yet in 8th ed it is hardly game changing, though the fact that it is there suddenly makes things that were considered next to useless in 7th have potential in 8th.

A good example is my Gnoblars.

Yes they can wound on a 6, but they also need a 5 to hit. When I played them in a tournament recently, I gathered up 40 dice, rolled, and got like.... 2 wounds. I have no idea if this is above average or not, but I rather like the drama of rolling all those dice... and maybe one day breaking all the odds and the Gnoblar become legendary (and no I don't mean they become the manager of a GW shop).

Of course that pre-supposes a number of things, like you are playing the game to create heroic moments, and not simply relying the company creted fluff to tell you that this unit or that unit is heroic - due to events that have precisely bugger all to do with your army.

And it also supposes that you are someone who has understood the principle of narrative wargaming - as opposed to mathhammer.

Another reaction that piqued my interest was someone complaining that there is too much dice rolling in 8th ed, and that somehow this undermines the game balance.

Well forgive me for stating the obvious, but the more dice you roll the more likely it is that in the game the probabilities will even out, and in doing so either create balance or expose the imbalance inherant across the various army books and codexes.

It is also a rather odd complaint, because surely the more often you are called upon to roll a dice, or move a figure - in fact do something/anything - then the more you are involved in the game. Quite how this is a bad thing, is beyond me. I suspect the generally inclusive nature of 8th ed is one of the reasons that I have noticed a marked increase in laughter and jocularity of peoplle playing 8th ed as opposed to 7th.

A clue to the negativity is that those making their 'intelligent and considered' contributions also refer to Purple Sun. And sure there are numerous stories about this spell - many that appeared within a day of 8th ed coming out (if not before) - and supposedly this spell breaks the game and destroys the fun, and sure, if you are on the end of it it is not a pleasant experience. But, if it destroys your army on turn 2, and you have the time, then surely you just shake hands, say 'well done' and start again - and who knows they might not roll that spell the second time around.

No doubt when 6th ed hits there will be something similar to Purple Sun that leads the GW baiters to share their 'wisdom' but really all of these supposed game destroying additons are generally more theoretical that actual.

peace:)

ps - I'm listening to Garagehammer as I write and they have mentioned that the Storm of Chaos has Ogre magic in, and it is no longer Gut Magic. I'll probably not get the book straight way - if at all - but it will be interesting to see if this gives a clue as to the way Gut Magic is heading with the release of the new Ogre army book gettng ever closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment