Sunday 8 January 2012

Grumpy New Year

Played the first game of the year today, 2000 points versus WoC.

I lost.

Basically I played like a nerk. I was running a deathfist list, and for some reason I got so hooked up in the magic phase, and the internet wisdom that Death magic is short range, that I completely forgot about tactics. I was running a suicide butcher with a hellheart, and rather than allow him to do his job of pulling the pin on the miscast grenade, I moved the Irongut deathstar up to support him. Then for no reason fled the butcher when it was charged by a unit of Chaos Knights, which allowed the Knights in on the bunker flank, with a unit of foot knights to charge into the front. To cap this I forgot that the unit had the Runemaw, and allowed miasma to be cast on the unit, so they fought the combat at WS1. It was a closer fight than I expected, but the bunker fled and was run down.

Half the army gone.

I suppose that's what happens when you throw together a list at the last minute and haven't really thought about how you are going to use it.

Thinking about it afterwards I thought of numerous ways in which I should have played better, but I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Still it was a fun game, and had I been more agressive in the final turns I could have pulled the irons from the fire.

Afterwards I stopped off in town to pick up a copy of the latest White Dwarf.

This edition is full of vampires. As I was reading it on the bus home, I found myself thinking, 'this is the stoopidiest army I have ever seen.' It was the rules for the Coven Throne that tipped me over the edge. I can see that this book is going to be the cause of arguments. An army that causes fear and terror, that is immune to psychology and gets free troops - now has units that many armies can't hit, and messes with the opponents shooting and combat... yeah that's going to be fun to play against.

Stand by for cries of outrage at the new power creep in 8th.

peace:)

No comments:

Post a Comment