Tuesday 17 August 2010

Hokey Kooky List Building

Due to parenting, and visitors, and life in general I have made next to no headway with my Ogres.

I have managed a couple of hours fiddling around with the gnoblars for my scrappies, but it doesn't really amount to much. And as is the way with things during a project, I have found my mind wandering to other projects, and specifically building a list for my Orks - perhaps as displacement for actually just breaking open the paints and getting on with things.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have christened my Orks the 17th Heavy Breakthrough Brigade - and in an even earlier post that my buying was less than efficient, meaning that I am now in position of having to go on a spending spree in order to get a force that even vaguely matches my sense of what I want the unit to look like.

The core of the army is simple, it's your bog standard 2 units of 30 Boys with a Nob with a Power Klaw - I went slugger and chopper because it's more Orky.

But it's the rest of the army that bugs me.

I realise I shouldn't complain, because this arguably demonstrates how well the Ork Codex is written - and I am not complaining, simply tearing my hair out trying to work out what I should buy when I place my next order (and yes I should get on and finish the ogres first).

It seems that everytime I look through the book I find new things that I like. And it might be because I have started thinking like an Ork - which might have something to do with parental sleep deprivation - i.e not entirely logically or rationally.

Here's an example.

As I mentioned before I have nine bikers modelled for max wound allocation abuse as nobs (I did this because I wanted to get the army to the table as quick as possible, not because I am a power player/min maxer/or whatever). It's a nice unit, but it's 700 points. If you have that and the 2 units of boyz, you pretty much have nothing else. So I started fiddling with lists in which one unit was a 4 nob biker squad with a warboss and the other was just 4 standard bikers. Which then got me worrying about morale. So I came up with the cunning plan of having 20 stormboyz, lots of bikes, and getting all giddy at the prospect of first turn charges and attacking in waves. But then I decided against the stormboyz because I couldn't make them troops and I only had one HQ in the list. So I was going through the book again, after deciding that Dreds and Kanz was the way to go, and I happened to notice Wazdakka Gutsmek and got very excited until I worked out that I was back facing the basic problem with Orks, that the HQ's are just so expensive - I can have 12 burnas or Lootas for the price of Wazdakka Gutsmek.

This wouldn't be the case if they had transport options for the HQ - which obviously Wazdakka has.

For instance in the Dred list, that I think I will go with, there is Mek with a KFF, he's 100 points which is perfect - have him, the two units of boyz, that's @600 points, which leaves room for lot's of 100 point units - which is perfect to fit the fluff of a brigade - and is my idea of an Ork army. But I want him in a Trukk, which means I have to have some Nobz, at which point you start fiddling about kitting them out, and adding Pain Boyz and Cyborg Bodies etc.

But I guess this is something all Ork players face - indeed all armies face.

Still this list building and puzzle solving does give me something to think about when I am pinned to the settee by a 7 week old, for whom the slightest movement of the arm is the differnce between an hour of sleep and an hour walking around trying to get him back to sleep.

peace:)

No comments:

Post a Comment