Thursday 11 April 2013

The Water's Lovely

The scenery project continues apace...

The river sections are in six inch lengths and I have made enough to make four feet of waterways. When the water effects are dry I shall press on with doing the banks.

The trees were bought on ebay from a Chinese seller. One hundred trees for twenty quid is not something to be sniffed at. The one possible drawback is that I do wonder how they will stand up to handling, as the flock has been falling off - not in great quantities - but in enough quantity to lead me to believe they were made for train modellers rather than wargamers.

I suspect when I next go into town I shall look at purchasing some spray on glue.

While working on the house and the barn, and specifically cutting out and gluing on the individual tiles for the roofs, I found myself pondering about how much the buildings would be worth. Given that the roof of the barn took between four and six hours (I made no allowance for tea breaks in that estimate) that would immediately make it around thirty quid because of the minimum wage. Then you add the cost of the materials, and the mark up to allow for postage and packing, marketing/ebay fees, profit etc and the price soon went up to seventy some-odd pounds.

Not being Ian Weekly, I thought it highly unlikely that anyone would pay that amount.

In an idle moment - no doubt while crawling around on the floor relying picking 1/16th inch square bits of plasticard up with tweezers, to complete the current row of tiles - I did consider learning the arcane arts of cast resin models, in order to go the route of mass production instead of bespoke.

Instead I contented myself with making the models for myself, having a good looking table for my own games, and being content with learning a new skill.

Oh, and perhaps more importantly - these being the first buildings I have ever made (beyond the matchstick creations I produced for my aborted Russian Civil war project) I surprised myself how much easier it was than I imagined (trigonometry ruined maths for me at school, and not even the beauty of quadratic equations could make me like it again). Which has encouraged me to consider more difficult and  elaborate projects.

Having said all this I fully understand why people would opt for the solution of buying their own terrain and buildings.

However, listening to back issues of Meeples and Miniatures I was alerted to the buildings offer by Hawk Wargames to support their Dropzone Commander game.

£740 for fifteen 10mm scale buildings?

I suppose you don't get unless you ask, and the buildings are nice, and very little annoys me more than people carping about price of things and expecting everything to be dirt cheap, but....

Having said that if I was single, earned fifty grand, didn't do much but play wargaming, and had a completest attitude, that price tag might not bother me.

But as I am not, I shall stick to mucking about with plasticard and glue.

peace:)

No comments:

Post a Comment